Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Post colonoscpy

Alright, so I had my colonoscopy preformed two days ago. The procedure seems to be a bit ore of a jolt to the system than it used to be, and I am still kind of recovering though I would say I am feeling mostly back to my version of normal. To get right in to it I want to discus the results I have received so far. I know I was consulted by my doctor after the procedure, but of course I don't remember a thing (I always thought it was kind of a funny practice to wallop a person into "twilight" with a powerful drug cocktail and then try to discus serious health concerns with them). Anyway, I guess that is what my follow-up appointment will be about (which is over a week away because the doctor has to wait for the results from the biopsies he took during the procedure). What I did get was a brief printed overview of his initial findings along with some alien looking pictures of the inside of my colon. Some of the parts that I think are very positive I would like to tell you about first.
1. He was able to complete the procedure easily (which is kind of a big victory in my head because if your colon is really shot sometimes the cant risk going all the way through with the camera because of a risk of perforation)
2. I didn't see any mention of suspicious lumps, polyps, strictures, or any other really funky abnormalities that I feared may be growing in there.
3. The pictures and his description limited the expanse of the disease affected areas to the rectum and sigmoid colon (which means if your colon kind of looks like a big question mark ? the only affected parts would be the dot and just slightly above. This is a huge improvement from my last colonoscopy 3 years ago which identified my entire colon as being severely diseased.)

Probably the least uplifting part of the report is that it stated that the affected parts of my colon were "severe in severity" which not only is grammatically awkward, but also not something I like to hear about damage to a part of my body.
Overall I am encouraged by the results because from my interpretation a large portion of my colon has healed as compared to 3 years ago. Also I feel that I is a good thing that it is the end of my colon which is still most affected because I believe this area will be most easily accessed by the fecal transplant that I will be administering. (god I cant believe I am writing all this stuff on the Internet, there was a time when I would be too embarrassed to mention any of this to anyone)
So, to sum it up for the day, I am still feeling the forward progress toward my ultimate goal of using the fecal transplant to help heal my body. I will continue to work towards healing everyday, and my next step will be to meet with my doctor next Friday and further discuss his findings and hopefully get his blessing on beginning the fecal transplant. I very much hope he does not try to dissuade my intentions, but even if he does he will have to have some strong reasoning that I can agree with otherwise I will do the procedure against his advice. I am not rebellious or combatant, but I am at a point where I will use information to make my own decisions about what feels right to me.
For the next week or so I will try to keep updating on how I am feeling, and also try to give a little more background on myself, and some of the things I have tried or am currently trying with the intentions of regaining my health.
Be well until then,
Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment